The Weird Universe explores a human and natural cosmos that is not only stranger than we imagine, but stranger than we can imagine. The usual suspects are Paul Di Filippo; Alex Boese, curator of the Museum of Hoaxes; and Chuck Shepherd, purveyor of News of the Weird.
- WottiesWhat's a Wottie? It's a cross between a Rottweiler (the female) and a West Highland Terrier (the male). There are some really great pictures at the link.
- Bacon-Scented Deodorant"It's like an aphrodisiac for your armpits." Available from J&D's Foods for only $9.99.
- Clean-O-PoreOriginal ad here. Original ad here. Read the fascinating history of this device, plus others of the "vacuum suction" mode, at this site.
- The Tattoo Hall of FameBack in June 2012, I posted about a guy down in Australia, Geoff Ostling, who hopes to have his tattooed skin hung on a gallery wall as art after he dies. I got the impression that Mr. Ostling thought his idea of displaying tattoo art postmortem was something new, but it turns out there already is a decades-old tattoo hall of fame. The April 3, 1950 issue of Life magazine included an article about Dr. Sei-ichi Fukushi, curator of the Imperial University of Tokyo's collection of tattooed human skins. As of 1950, he had already acquired 38 human skins which were on display in the University's gallery, and Dr. Fukushi was eager to expand the collection.
- Destruction: Fun or DumbBe sure to hang in at least long enough for the unforgettable theme song, starting around the minute-and-a-half mark.
- News of the Weird 2.0 (December 3, 2013)News of the Weird 2.0 Angst, Confusion, Cynicism, Ridicule Prime Cuts of Underreported News from Last Week, Hand-Picked and Lightly Seasoned by Chuck Shepherd December 2, 2013 (part II) (datelines November 23-November 30) (links correct as of December 1) More Things to Worry About Upskirt: Didn’t mean to, “everything went astray” when Jeffrey Kosinski bought that damned camera. People don’t take upskirts; cameras take upskirts! Grand Rapids Press Obamacare Canada-Care! Or anything! If the girl stays here, they’ll make her do chemo, so her Amish parents--God bless ‘em--border-jump. Asssociated Press “Police Warn of Clown Epidemic in Norfolk [UK]” Metro.co.uk How stupid are anti-marijuana zealots willing to sound to make it seem like there are no dopers in Colorado? A few parents complain they’re helpless to ‘splain to their kids just why people might be toking on their front porches, and Denver city councilors think that’s a good point. Denver Post n.b. If you read on the Internet last week that Greeks are purposely self-HIV-infecting to get gov’t benefits, change that to “couple of Greeks.” Washington Post Boy becomes girl, girl becomes boy, new boy meets new girl. Hey, they look a hell of a lot happier than you! me! World’s Greatest Newspaper 15 Minutes: Anthony Weiner’s sext-receiver figures she can pay for her labia-tightening by auctioning off the flap. [Wanna bet against her? I didn’t think so.] Jezebel The protest movement in Thailand don’t want your stinkin’ democracy and wants to eject the Shinawatra gang (most notably “Stupid Crab Bitch Water Buffalo Face”). Global Post Julann Roe is a prominent libertarian on Yr Ed’s home turf and hit the news when she paid off her $11k property tax bill in $1's. Damn the gov’t, she says! [It’s so-o-o-o easy to be a libertarian when you live on 41 acres after being born (or married) on 3rd base and thinking you hit a triple.] TBO.com (Tampa) What if one guy has a bigger database of child-abuse/porn images than every law-enforcement agency in the country? Maybe John Bidmead, 65, Cullompton, England, is that guy. (Bonus: He was watching stuff at the moment he was raided.) (Double Bonus: He’s also a bad, bad hombre.) BBC News Survivalist in Barrie, Ontario: Here’s a photo of William Feldhoff’s command center. Whoa!. CNews.ca Israeli Rabbinic court says to parents, Ya gotta snip, It’s the law. Associated Press via Fox News “Giant Prehistoric Toilet Unearthed” --- BBC News [Word of the day: coprolite] Last week, Santa groped an elf at Hanover Mall (Hanover, Mass.), but this story is only a placeholder for Yr Ed to re-explain again why he does not cover Santa weirdness--because when ya do “News of the Weird,” which is the gold standard, ya're under an obligation for the genre, and that would be too much for me each holiday season, given the limited payout (since all news organizations everywhere run all the cute stories they see). Washington Times Your Weekly Jury Duty [In America, you're presumed innocent . . . until the mug shot is released] His lawyer’s work is cut out for him for this accused burglar (and, what, he is he leaking chromosomes? What are those strands across his face? Some of it's hair, but--.). The Smoking Gun Newsrangers: Peter Swank, and the News of the Weird Board of Editorial Advisors.