The Weird Universe explores a human and natural cosmos that is not only stranger than we imagine, but stranger than we can imagine. The usual suspects are Paul Di Filippo; Alex Boese, curator of the Museum of Hoaxes; and Chuck Shepherd, purveyor of News of the Weird.
- Dagwood, the table-tennis-playing catFrom an AP story that circulated in August 1951 (example here): PORTLAND, Ore. — This cat made such a pest of herself when Ted Matson tried to play table tennis that he finally put her on one side of the net and let her try the game on her own. That was six years ago, and the cat, Dagwood, has been playing ever since. She's adept at both the two-handed smash and the one-handed volley. This cat was obviously born before her time. In the age of YouTube she would have been a global celebrity.
- Tarzan of the CaninesOriginal page here. Do we dare to believe this Weekly World News article? Well, the case was reported a year prior in a reputable newspaper.
- Medical Reference BookHandy in or out of the operating room. Order Your's Here
- Pee PocketThe Pee Pocket is yet another device that allows women to pee standing up. (I'm pretty sure I've posted about several other such devices.) It was designed by a heart surgeon. But what caught my eye were the possible plans to come out with a camouflage version of it marketed to hunters. Says the inventor in an interview with Local News 8 of Idaho Falls: "Hunters have all this garb and warm gear on, and they can't get it off. When they go to the bathroom, it's not just unzip. Sometimes it's cold, and it doesn't reach, so they put this inside the clothes to give them the extra length they need to pee without taking off all the garb." I guess it's important that the hunters stay fully camouflaged while relieving themselves.
- Follies of the Madmen #232Existential candybars, as only David Cronenberg could direct it. For more weirdness, try his new novel.
- Breaking Bad ToysToy'sR Us is going to carry Breaking Bad action figures and accessories which include bags of pretend crystal meth. I think the pretend crystal meth should be pop rocks!