- Lost City of the Pain God May 22, 2016Very glad finally to snag a copy of this Ellison prequel.
- Free Story! May 18, 2016My story "Sawing" is now available at Nightmare magazine. There's also an Author Spotlight saying a bit about the story.
- New Review at LOCUS ONLINE May 18, 2016Four novels by Frank Herbert!http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2016/05/paul-di-filippo-reviews-frank-herbert/
- New Review at LOCUS ONLINE May 12, 2016I look at a new story collection:http://www.locusmag.com/Reviews/2016/05/paul-di-filippo-reviews-matthew-cheney/
- Story Is Out! May 1, 2016Nightmare Magazine, with my story "Sawing," is live now. Right now you have to subscribe to read it, but it will become available on May 18.I actually have something to say about this story, which isn't the case with some of them. Sometimes I'll start a book or short story by smashing together subjects that seem interesting and seeing if they turn into something. So, for example, with my novel Dark Cities Underground I put together children's books, subway systems, and Egyptian gods, and, much to my amazement, they gelled into a story. I don't recommend this as a system for writing because it works about as often as it doesn't, which can be very frustrating.Anyway, the things I put together for "Sawing" were the Depression in the 1930s, live magic shows, and one other thing, which I can't mention because it's a spoiler.
- Dear Halls Cough Drops April 30, 2016I’ve had a wretched cold for the last week and a half, during which I ingested about a pound of cough drops. When I surfaced, a few days ago, I noticed that Halls cough drops puts little uplifting mottos on their wrappers: “Take charge and mean it.” “Bet on yourself.” “Get back in the game.” “Power through.”Dear Halls:I am lying on the couch, trying to work up the energy to open a bag of your cough drops. If I were not exhausted, and coughing my lungs out, your mottos might make some sense to me. Might I suggest slogans more in keeping with your clientele? Something like “Don’t worry about that deadline.” “Go back to sleep.” “You can take Nyquil during the day too, you know.”Yours sincerely,Lisa